Hello beautiful people! This is Winnie here with a simple DIY hair care tutorial. All the ingredients can be found in the comfort of your own home (: You can customize the main recipe to your own hair type (or allergies), or follow my recipes below for some inspiration ^^
Avocados contain high amounts of vitamins B and E, which work together to improve the condition of your hair. Vitamin B boosts your hair growth, while vitamin E helps repair damage which could prevent hair growth. Overall, avocado masks are an effective natural remedy for treating hair loss, promoting hair growth, retaining moisture, and repairing damaged hair (:
Basic ingredients we’ll be using today:
- Half an avocado, mashed (you can use the other half for a facial!)
- 1 to 2 tbsp olive oil (depending on how thick you want your hair mask to be)
Additional ingredients (optional):
Oily Hair: Replace the olive oil with 1/2 tsp water, 1/2 tsp lemon juice, and 1 tsp of strong chamomile tea. Chamomile tea helps bring shine to your hair, as well as relieve itching. Scratching, over-brushing, or irritating the scalp stimulates the oil glands, thus coating your hair with additional oil.
Dry, Damaged (dyed, permed), or Frizzy Hair: Add 1/2 a banana (mashed) and 1 egg yolk (or 1/4 cup plain organic yogurt if you don’t want eggs in your hair). Bananas are loaded with potassium and natural oils, which helps strengthen and repair dry and damaged hair, as well as control dandruff. Also, bananas contain vitamin B which helps in the prevention of split ends, breakage, and future damage from pollution and other environmental toxins. Egg yolks contain vital nutrients and vitamins that repair dry hair follicles. Eggs have a high sulfur content which controls dandruff. The proteins help strengthen and prevent breakage.
- Mix the avocado and olive oil (if using) together. Then, add your additional ingredients for your hair type.
- Apply the mixture to the bottom two-thirds of your hair, leaving your roots untouched (otherwise your roots will be oily). Make sure to work it into the tips of your hair follicles. If you have dry, damaged, or frizzy hair, you can apply the hair mask over your entire head, including the scalp, since oil is needed for regaining moisture.
- Wrap the ends of your hair in plastic wrap (or a shower cap) and leave it in for 15-45 minutes (the longer the better).
- Shampoo in warm water (if too hot, you’ll cook the egg yolks, if using). Condition, but do not apply conditioner to the roots.
- Rinse hair with cold water (after conditioning) to help retain moisture. And RINSE WELL. Otherwise you’ll have bits of banana stuck in your hair (I learned the hard way). Resist the urge to blow dry, since it could damage your hair. Towel dry instead!
- Marvel at your amazing hair (:
Keep posted for a video of this tutorial! Good luck (:
Style, sense, and swag,
P.S.: This is common sense. Don’t use the ingredients if you’re allergic to them. We wouldn’t want to see that happen to anyone who wants to make a hair mask (: